Monday, November 30, 2009

The Joys of Turkey Day


A couple of days before Thanksgiving, Nick and I had a conversation about how we both thought Thanksgiving might just be our favorite holiday. We love Christmas, but Thanksgiving didn't have all the stress of buying gifts and the madness of the holiday schedules. As I agreed whole-heartedly with Nick that Thanksgiving was wonderful, I had a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't figure out until the night before Turkey Day. I realized what it was as I was faced with the realization of everything I had to get together by the next morning. Stress. I forgot that Thanksgiving has stress too... it's just all packed into one 24 hour period, so it doesn't seem like much compared to the entire month of December. And I wasn't even the one hosting it! I suddenly had a lot of sympathy for my mom for all those years when she essentially prepared the whole feast on her own. Sure, we helped, but were a bunch of kids really all that helpful? That thought was enough to make me never want to shoulder the whole meal by myself in the future...EVER. Admittedly, Nick confessed that his family had spoiled him into thinking that the men didn't have to do anything on Turkey Day but play football, eat, watch football, and eat again. I'm sure he will always look forward to the years when we are in Omaha for Thanksgiving, when he can revert back to his old ways... In the meantime, I'm grateful for his help!

This year, Nick kicked things off with a Turkey Trot through Old Town Alexandria.


Then we headed off to Mike & Mary's house to enjoy the next two days with the Selden clan.

Our friend, Nate, joined us & agreed to hold Mia for the first time... We've got proof now, Nate! Before long we'll have you changing diapers.

Sue, Brian, my cousin Jessica, & her husband, Ryan chattin' it up before dinner.

Grandma Sue couldn't have been happier to have so much of the family together... unless, of course, we could have gotten the Jacksons to join us. We missed you guys!


Mia was feeling the love from her cousins.



Turns out, those Selden kids inherited some of the music genes. First a piano concert...

... then a jam session on the drums. Great Grandpa Butch would be proud, Tyler.

Mike led some of the family in a serious game of Puerto Rico... I generally opt out of the epic games, but Mia was whispering strategies to Grandpa Wally the whole time.

Since it isn't a Selden year for Christmas in 2009, we did our 2nd annual Yankee gift exchange at Thanksgiving. Surprisingly, there were only 3 iTunes gift cards in play this time.

We had a great time and were grateful to Mike & Mary for hosting us all. Their new house was perfect for the gathering and everything was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment