Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Lost Symbol

While Nick's mom was visiting, we thought it might be interesting to take a tour of the George Washington Masonic Temple in Alexandria, Virginia. Nick and I were getting ready to start Dan Brown's new book & we thought it would be a good idea to go learn something about the Masons before diving into it. It was an interesting place, but we didn't really learn much about the Masons themselves. Guess we will have to rely on Dan Brown's take on them. I'm sure it will be mainstream Masons and not the extremists he focuses on, right?

17 foot tall statue of George
While we were in this main hall, the only person who liked to hear themselves talk more than our tour guide was Mia. I think she enjoyed the echo. She was LOUD.

Yes, you Raiders of the Lost Ark fans, that IS what you think it is in the background.

The stained glass was really pretty throughout the building, but this one was my favorite. Notice the Knights Templar flag at the base of it. We did actually learn a little something about them to give us a teeny more insight into Dan Brown's first best seller.

The view of Old Town Alexandria from the top floor of the Masonic Temple.

Mia got a little bored & tired of competing with the tour guide for attention.
Even the view at the end didn't do it for her.
Now we can finally say we have done it since we only live a couple of miles away.




1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Just finished the book. It was very interesting and quite good. As always with a Dan Brown novel, I really wish I could separate the fact from the fiction. I'll have to rely on the Discovery Channel to properly disect it in a program some time soon. I think I have one on Tivo, so may be already covered.

    EDS

    ReplyDelete