Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Indiana State Fair

All we have been hearing about for the last month is the Indiana State Fair. It's kind of a big deal here. Mia and I have never been to a state fair & Nick couldn't remember the last time he had gone. We decided that we needed to go check out what everyone was talking about & give Mia a little first-hand exposure to some of her favorite farm animals. Even so, we entered the fair grounds a little tentatively.

Mia lit up immediately, however, once we were in sight of the piggies.

Ok, these ones are kind of cute, but...

...this little piggy isn't going anywhere. I don't think it can even stand up on its own. Welcome to the World's Largest Boar.

Here is a nice rear view of the pig named "Tickle Me Elmo III", weighing in at a whopping 1,277 pounds. It honestly looked like a baby hippo.

So although nothing else could really compare with the World's Largest Boar, we moved on to the cows...

...the sheep...

...and then the horses.

These horses were probably the biggest and most beautiful horses I've ever seen & they were easily Mia's favorite animal.
She spotted these beauties as they waited for their turn at the horse show & was instantly enamored.

The nicest grandfatherly type saw how excited she was & let us back behind the rope to have a closer look. At first Mia was a little nervous, but soon was reaching up to pet the horse too.

Besides the awesome people-watching, there were a few other things to watch too. This is a sheep shearing contest where they had to wrestle & shear 3 sheep for time.

And here is the horse show.


Probably the best spectacle for me, however, was the crazy food. If there was ever a time to have weird pregnant lady cravings, it was at the state fair. Here are a couple of my favorite options:


Deep fried butter, brownies... and Pepsi. It's not just a beverage option at this stand. How they do it, I still don't know. I was also really tempted by the chocolate covered bacon. Anyone who has had bacon in chocolate fondue knows what I'm talking about. Mmmm.


And my personal favorite, the doughnut burger. You can get a regular bacon cheeseburger here, except the bun is actually two Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts.

Sadly, I can't say that I could justify any of the really horrifyingly good stuff. The lines were too long & I knew Nick would never look at me the same way again. I couldn't walk away without getting something though. I ended up with a classic corndog. It was still a good thing I went to spin class the next morning.

Loved the state fair...

2 comments:

  1. Hellooo Midwest. (I had to get my snobby California jab in!)
    Okay... www.thisiswhyyourefat.com would have a heyday at that fair. If you haven't seen that website yet, check it out.
    How do they keep the butter from melting when they fry it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I still don't understand the logistics of the deep fried butter and Pepsi. As much as I love NorCal, I'm pretty sure the California state fair would be just as horrifying. We may have corn fields down the road, but keep in mind, you are the one who is going to have chickens in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete